More Blogs

emackfyea.blogspot.com

Friday, February 3, 2012

Chronicle

Just got out of the advanced screening of Chronicle.   For the general public it opens this Friday February 3rd.  Chronicle is the story of three friends who make a remarkable discovery that results in some unbelievable side effects for our trio.

So what's different about this movie.  The first thing that sets this movie apart from others opening this weekend, is the fact that it is told from the perspective of the main character's video camera.  Or other cameras  in the nearby vicinity.  This gave the film a Reality Tv kind of feel.  In my opinion... FAIL!  I'm not a fan of Reality Programming on Tv. I certainly don't want it as part of my feature films.  This choice alone single-handedly degrades the value of this movie.

The other reason this film is disappointing is b/c I feel this film could have been bigger.  Upon walking out of the Theatre, as with all movies I watch. The first question I ask myself is what was this movie about.  The best answer I can come up with is. "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."  Which sums up the story arc of our main character.

A main character who has a sick mother, an alcoholic/abusive father, and a chip on his shoulder the size of Mt Rushmore.  Who gains telepathic powers, only to be undone by the demons in his own closet.  Get over yourself.  But I digress.

 I will say however, one of the strongest points of this movie is the dialogue.  I found it rather current which was refreshing. Not sure if it was all Landis' writing or some pretty good ad libbing; but either way job well done.  If your into Reality or not even.  Chronicle is worth checking out.  It has some funny moments and shows boys being boys.

And as always "SAY IT WIT YA CHEST!"

No comments:

Post a Comment